Saturday, March 15, 2014

Battle of the Glitter Toppers

Happy Saturday, lovies!

After seeing so many pretty manicures made even more beautiful with China Glaze Fairy Dust, I was finally able to grab one for myself. 

I received a question on Instagram wondering if there were any similar polishes by Essie or OPI to Fairy Dust, which is a clear base polish with small holographic glitter. I did some research and found that Nicole by OPI has one called Make a Comet-ment. Unfortunately, I don't have it yet so I can't say for certain, but the pictures I've seen on the internet show that it is similar in composition and application.

I'll do a comparison of some glitter toppers I have, Essie Pure Pearlfection, Finger Paints Sparkle and Snowflake, and China Glaze Fairy Dust.


From the bottle, Finger Paints Sparkle and Snowflake and China Glaze Fairy Dust look similar, however the application is quite different.

In addition to a straight photo of the polish over black, I'll also show you a blurry shot to show the holographic effect.

First I'll show you a close up of Pure Pearlfection.
Pure Pearlfection is a shimmer polish that has tiny holographic shimmer in a clear base. This one is the lightest and provides a faint glitter finish. 

Next is Finger Paints Sparkle and Snowflake. This clear base is full of holographic glitter. This one provides a heavy application of glitter and could be worn alone in 2 coats. I've tried putting this over a gradient before and it completely covered it. This is better on its own.

Lastly, we have China Glaze Fairy Dust. The base in this is thicker than the Finger Paints polish, which allows the glitter to be more suspended in the base and goes on more sparingly. This one can be used to add a hint of holographic glitter to complement a design underneath. 

Here's a comparison shot between all of them:

Sparkle and Snowflake is very pretty, but if you want a polish to add some shimmer and not overpower the design, then Fairy Dust is your best bet. China Glaze has a polish similar to Sparkle and Snowflake and it is called Glistening Snow, providing heavier glitter coverage.

I'll keep this post updated as I get more glitter toppers. :)





1 comment:

  1. I can see why everyone raves about Fairy Dust, now! It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete